The Washington State Fire Marshal’s Office (SFMO) would like to provide residents with fireworks safety tips that will keep the holiday safe, enjoyable, and memorable.
- Purchase Washington legal consumer fireworks from a licensed and locally permitted retail stand.
- Only use fireworks outdoors away from buildings on a flat, level, fireproof surface free from debris.
- Read and follow all safety labels and instructions.
- Have a water supply and water bucket available at all times.
- Light only one firework at a time.
- Never place any part of your body directly over a firework.
- Never throw fireworks or light fireworks in your hands.
- Never pick-up or try to re-ignite a firework that fails to light.
- Never carry fireworks in your pockets or shoot them from a container.
- Always have adults light fireworks. Keep all fireworks including matches and lighters away from children.
- Allow finished fireworks to sit for at least 20 minutes before submerging them fully in water for at least 10 minutes. Dispose of drained products in a plastic bag.
- Keep all pets indoors and protected from the sights and sounds of the holiday.
- Be respectful and clean up all fireworks debris the next morning to be a good neighbor!
Be Prepared – Be Safe – Be Responsible
For more information about fireworks safety and for a list of public displays in your area visit http://www.wsp.wa.gov/fireworks/ or call (360)596-3929.