The City of Shelton is seeking applicants to fill vacancies on the Parks & Recreation Advisory Committee, Historic Preservation Board, and Shelton Arts Commission. This is a fantastic volunteer opportunity to help guide the City’s parks planning, participate in local historic preservation efforts, or promote public arts and cultural programs. City of Shelton and Mason County residents are eligible to serve.
PARKS & RECREATION ADVISORY COMMITTEE
The Parks & Recreation Advisory Committee provides recommendations on a variety of activities, and assists the City with developing parks and recreation services. Tasks assigned to the committee include:
- Developing park planning and improvement recommendations.
- Identifying recreation program opportunities.
- Reviewing park facility regulations.
- Serving as a liaison between the community and the Shelton City Council on matters related to parks and recreation services.
Members of the Parks & Recreation Advisory Committee are appointed by the City Council to a three year term. Committee meetings are held the second Monday of every month at 5:30 PM at the Shelton Civic Center.
SHELTON HISTORIC PRESERVATION BOARD
The Shelton Historic Preservation Board is responsible for actively encouraging the conservation of historic resources in Shelton. The board helps provide incentives to property owners to restore and maintain historic sites and buildings. Tasks assigned to the board include:
- Maintaining a register of historic places.
- Reviewing proposed changes to register properties.
- Raising awareness of the City’s history and historic resources.
- Serving as the City’s primary historic resource.
- Overseeing historic planning and preservation efforts.
Members of the Shelton Historic Preservation Board are appointed by the City Council to a three-year term. Board meetings are held on the second Thursday of every month at 6:00 PM at the Shelton Civic Center.
SHELTON ARTS COMMISSION
The Shelton Arts Commission is responsible for promoting public programs that increase awareness and interest in the arts. Tasks assigned to the commission include:
- Making recommendations to the City Council on cultural and artistic projects and events.
- Encouraging donations, and researching grants, that support and grow public arts and cultural programs.
- Promoting the annual Empty Bowls Project and Rotating Art Gallery at the Shelton Civic Center.
Members of the Arts Commission are appointed by the City Council to a four-year term. Committee meetings are held on the second Tuesday of every month at 5:30 PM at the Shelton Civic Center.
To apply, please submit a letter of interest to Community Development Director Mark Ziegler. Letters of interest are due by 5:00 PM on Thursday, March 21, 2019.
Mark Ziegler, Community Development Director
525 West Cota Street
Shelton, WA 98584