The Washington Department of Fish and Wildlife (WDFW) has scheduled a webinar for Nov. 28 to give its new director an opportunity to discuss the agency’s long-term plans to conserve fish and wildlife and promote outdoor recreation throughout the state.
To take part in the online event, the public should visit wdfw.wa.gov starting at 6:15 p.m. on Nov. 28. The webinar will begin at 6:30 p.m.
“The department’s work is fundamental to people’s quality of life and livelihoods in Washington,” said Kelly Susewind, who assumed the position of WDFW director Aug. 1. “The webinar will allow me to introduce you to my values and approach and also hear what’s important to you.”
The digital open house is designed to meet public interest in a convenient virtual forum that will supplement live and in-person open houses throughout Washington.
The in-person forums, all scheduled for 6:30-8:30 p.m., will take place at the following dates and locations:
- Nov. 5 – CenterPlace Regional Event Center, 2426 N. Discovery Place, Spokane Valley
- Nov. 6 – Grant County Public Works, 124 Enterprise St. SE, Ephrata
- Nov. 7 – Selah Civic Center, 216 1st St., Selah
- Nov. 13 – Montesano City Hall, 112 North Main Street, Montesano
- Nov. 14 – WDFW Ridgefield Office, 5525 South 11th Street, Ridgefield
- Dec. 12 – Issaquah Salmon Hatchery Watershed Science Center, 125 W Sunset Way, Issaquah
Susewind, who grew up in Aberdeen, describes himself as a lifelong fishing, hunting and outdoors enthusiast. The Washington Fish and Wildlife Commission, a nine-member panel appointed by the governor to set policy for WDFW, voted unanimously to select him as WDFW’s director in June.
“I am committed to the mission of this agency, and that means hearing from people who care about Washington’s fish and wildlife,” said Susewind. “I want to share what I have learned, but the main goal for inviting people to these events is to hear what they have to say.”
The webinar will be recorded and available at the department’s website starting Nov. 29 for those who miss the digital open house and in-person open houses.