The following is a summary of road construction and maintenance scheduled on state highways around Mason County and adjacent areas from September 16, 2018 to September 22, 2018.
US 101 – Lynch Road – Safety Improvements
Highway: US 101 Region: Olympic County: Mason Location: Milepost(s) 352.5
Description: Crews will make roadway modifications to help increase sight distance for Lynch Road drivers merging onto southbound US 101.
Crews will make the following improvements:
• build a 1,200-foot-long acceleration lane for Lynch Road drivers merging onto northbound US 101 (heading toward Shelton);
• build a 1,140-foot-long acceleration lane for Lynch Road drivers merging onto southbound US 101 (heading toward Olympia).
The acceleration lanes will enhance drivers’ ability to reach highway speeds before merging onto the highway.
Work Schedule: Beginning Monday, Sept. 17, through Saturday, Oct. 6, crews may close the intersection during the following times and days:
• 7 p.m. Sunday through Thursday, until 6 a.m. each following day.
• 8 p.m. Friday, until 8 a.m. Saturday
• 8 p.m. Saturday, until 8 a.m. Sunday.
Signed detours will be provided via the first Shelton exit (State Route 3) and Kamilche.
Drivers can also expect on-going right or left lane closures in both directions of US 101.
• A single lane of northbound US 101 may close each weekday around-the-clock except during the afternoon commute from 4 p.m. to 7 p.m. A single lane of southbound US 101 may close each weekday around-the-clock except during the morning commute from 7 a.m. to 9 a.m.
The speed limit in both directions will be reduced to 40 mph during work activities.
US 101/Kennedy Creek Bridges – Special Repair
Highway: US 101 Region: Olympic County: Mason Location: Milepost(s) 356.5
Description: Crews will repair supports that elevate both US 101 bridges over Kennedy Creek.
Work Schedule: Drivers may encounter shoulder closures and short-term right lane closures in both directions. The project is scheduled to be complete fall 2018.
SR 8 – Middle and East Forks Wildcat Creek – Remove Fish Barriers
Highway: SR 8 Region: Olympic County: Grays Harbor Location: Milepost(s) 4.3 to 7.5
Description: The eastbound lanes have been reconfigured to accommodate both directions of traffic as crews replace outdated culverts under SR 8 to improve fish passage for Middle and East Fork Wildcat Creek.
Work Schedule: Around the clock traffic shift through spring 2019. Any lane closures will be announced.
Highway: SR 8 Region: Olympic County: Grays Harbor Location: Milepost(s) 0 to 20.5
Description: Single left lane closure for vegetation management.
Work Schedule: 7 a.m. to 4 p.m. Tuesday, Sept. 18.
Highway: SR 302 Region: Olympic County: Pierce Location: Milepost(s) 10.5 to 11.6
Description: One-way alternating traffic with flaggers.
Work Schedule: 9 p.m. to 5 a.m. each weeknight through Friday, Sept. 28. Some daytime work may be needed, but will not require lane closures.
Highway: US 101 Region: Olympic County: Mason Location: Milepost(s) 343.8
Description: Troopers will provide traffic control at the Sanderson Field entrance.
Event Schedule: 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. Saturday, Oct. 6 through Sunday, Oct. 7.
Tips for Driving Through Work Zones
- Pay attention – Driver inattention is the number one cause of work zone accidents.
- Leave room between you and the car ahead of you – Most work zone accidents involve someone
- running into the car ahead of them. Drive defensively – be aware of what is happening around you.
- Merge before you reach the work zone.
- Don’t use cell phones or adjust your radio while driving through the work zone.