The Shelton City Council is pleased to announce four finalists for consideration as Shelton’s first City Manager under the new council-manager form of government. The City retained Slavin Management Consultants out of Georgia to conduct the nationwide recruitment. Earlier this year, sitting council members and various community members worked with the consulting firm to develop a position profile. The City received 24 applications from the Northwest and around the country. After extensive review and completion of background checks, the Council has invited the four finalists to Shelton for interviews on Monday, July 30th and Tuesday, July 31st.
Finalists for the City’s top position include:
- Brent Clark, City Administrator of Broken Bow, Nebraska. Brent has managed two cities with 11 years local government management experience, and 2 years of Economic Development experience.
- Henry Lawrence, City Administrator of Eagle Point, Oregon. Henry has managed four cities over 22 years of local government management experience, with 10 years as the first City Manager for Edgewood, Washington.
- William Vance, City Manager of Pickerington, Ohio. William has managed four cities over 23 years of local government management experience.
- Brian Lagerberg. Director, Public Transportation Division, Washington State Department of Transportation, with 20 over years of State management experience. Brian is a Shelton area resident.
The first round of interviews will be held in the afternoon on Monday, July 30th. Second round interviews will be on Tuesday 7/31, with finalists rotating between three interview panels consisting of Council members, department heads, and industry experts from the community. (Industry experts were selected by the City Council based on technical skills in the following areas: Finance, Human Resources, Planning and Community Development, Emergency Management, Housing, Leadership/Management, Community Relations, Public Safety, Economic Development, and Organization Development.)
A Community Open House will be held at the Shelton Civic Center on Monday, July 30th from 6:00 – 7:30 PM. Community members are encouraged to attend, meet the finalists, and provide feedback to the City Council.
Following the second round of interviews on Tuesday, July 31st, the Council will meet with panel members to gather feedback. The Council is then expected to select a preferred candidate by end of day Tuesday, July 31st, although an announcement may not be made until the following week. Considering that all finalists are currently employed, a start date of late August or early September is anticipated, corresponding with the beginning of the City’s 2019 Budget development process.
ROLE OF THE CITY MANAGER
Under the council-manager form of government, the City Manager is like the CEO of a company, with the Council acting as the Board of Directors and the Mayor as the Chairman. The City Manager is responsible for implementing policies and organizational goals set by the Council.
The Council has identified the following major goals for 2018 through 2020:
- Develop the long-range community vision
- Provide great customer service
- Expand community information and involvement
- Ensure financial sustainability and stability
- Review the City’s organization and staffing requirements, including current and future needs
- Support community economic development
- Support community and intergovernmental collaborations