The following is a summary of road construction and maintenance scheduled on state highways around Mason County and adjoining areas from May 27, 2018 to June 2, 2018.
SR 102, WA ST Corrections Center St to US 101 – Chip Seal
Highway: Dayton Airport Road (SR 102) Region: Olympic County: Mason Location: Milepost(s) 0.01 to 2.9
Description: Crews will resurface the highway between US 101 and the Washington Correction Center.
Work Schedule: Construction is scheduled to begin after Memorial Day.
• One-way alternating traffic with a pilot car or flaggers during daylight hours. Work will mostly occur Mondays through Fridays. Weekend work may also be scheduled.
• Drivers can expect a reduced speed limit to 35 mph in the work zone.
• Depending on weather, work will continue through summer.
US 101, Olympic Region Guardrail and Cable Barrier
Highway: US 101 Region: Olympic County: Thurston Location: Milepost(s) 362 to 367
Description: Left lane or shoulder closure for cable barrier modification.
Work Schedule: 9 p.m. Tuesday through Thursday, May 29-June 1, until 6 a.m. each following day.
SR 8 – Middle and East Forks Wildcat Creek – Remove Fish Barriers
Highway: SR 8 Region: Olympic County: Grays Harbor Location: Milepost(s) 4.3 to 7.5
Description: The eastbound lanes have been reconfigured to accommodate both directions of traffic as crews replace outdated culverts under SR 8 to improve fish passage for Middle and East Fork Wildcat Creek.
Work Schedule: Around the clock traffic shift. Any closures will be announced. Work is scheduled through spring 2019.
- Several times between 9 a.m. and 3 p.m. Thursday, May 31, crews will intermittently stop traffic on SR 8 to place bridge girders over East Forks. This is the final of four girder deliveries in this project. Drivers can expect up to 15 minute delays.
Highway: SR 8 Region: Olympic County: Thurston Location: Milepost(s) 18 to 18.5
Description: Westbound left lane closure for guardrail repair.
Work Schedule: 7 a.m. to 11:30 a.m. Tuesday, May 29.
Highway: SR 8 Region: Olympic County: Thurston Location: Milepost(s) 17 to 17.5
Description: Westbound right lane closure for guardrail repair.
Work Schedule: 11:30 a.m. to 1 p.m. Tuesday, May 29.
Highway: US 101 Region: Olympic County: Jefferson Location: Milepost(s) 281 to 294.8
Description: One-way alternating traffic with flaggers and occasional shoulder closures for catch basin cleaning.
Work Schedule: 7 a.m. to 4 p.m. Tuesday, May 29 through Thursday, May 31.
Hood to Coast Relay and Ultra
Highway: US 101, 107, 108, 109 Region: Olympic County: Mason, Grays Harbor Location: Milepost(s) See below:
Description: Travelers will encounter intermittent flagging throughout the race route and occasional delays along the following roadways:
- US 101: Blue Sough Rd through South G St. north of Hoquiam.
- US 101: Spur Rd to Ocean Beach Rd. north of Hoquiam.
- SR 107: Intersection of SR 12 to Blue Slough Rd. near Melbourne.
- SR 108: Salish Cliff Dr. to Elma Hicklin Rd. south of Shelton.
- SR 109: Intersection of US 101 to Front St. south of Moclips.
Tips for Driving Through Work Zones
- Pay attention – Driver inattention is the number one cause of work zone accidents.
- Leave room between you and the car ahead of you – Most work zone accidents involve someone
- running into the car ahead of them. Drive defensively – be aware of what is happening around you.
- Merge before you reach the work zone.
- Don’t use cell phones or adjust your radio while driving through the work zone.