The following is a summary of road construction and maintenance scheduled on state highways around Mason County and adjoining areas from May 20, 2018 to May 26, 2018.
SR 102, Washington Corrections Center St to US 101 – Chip Seal
Highway: Dayton Airport Road (SR 102) Region: Olympic County: Mason Location: Milepost(s) 0.01 to 2.9
Description: Crews will resurface the highway between US 101 and the Washington Correction Center.
Work Schedule: Construction is scheduled to begin after Memorial Day.
• One-way alternating traffic with a pilot car or flaggers during daylight hours. Work will mostly occur Mondays through Fridays. Weekend work may also be scheduled.
• Drivers can expect a reduced speed limit to 35 mph in the work zone.
• Depending on weather, work will continue through summer.
US 101, Olympic Region Guardrail and Cable Barrier
Highway: US 101 Region: Olympic County: Thurston Location: Milepost(s) 362 to 367
Description: Left lane or shoulder closure for cable barrier modification.
Work Schedule: 9 p.m. Monday through Thursday, May 21-24, until 6 a.m. each following day.
SR 8 – Middle and East Forks Wildcat Creek – Remove Fish Barriers
Highway: SR 8 Region: Olympic County: Grays Harbor Location: Milepost(s) 4.3 to 7.5
Description: The eastbound lanes have been reconfigured to accommodate both directions of traffic as crews replace outdated culverts under SR 8 to improve fish passage for Middle and East Fork Wildcat Creek.
Work Schedule: Around the clock traffic shift. Any closures will be announced. Work is scheduled through spring 2019.
- Several times between 9 a.m. and 3 p.m. Thursday, May 31, crews will intermittently stop traffic on SR 8 to place bridge girders over East Forks. This is the final of four girder deliveries in this project. Drivers can expect up to 15 minute delays.
- Crews will temporarily close South 3rd Street between SR 108 and Mox Chehalis Road in downtown McCleary for pavement repairs 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. Monday, May 21. Flaggers and pilot car operators will control one-way alternating traffic during the daytime hours as part of the SR 8 Middle and East Forks Wildcat Creek project.
No work Memorial Day Weekend
Tips for Driving Through Work Zones
- Pay attention – Driver inattention is the number one cause of work zone accidents.
- Leave room between you and the car ahead of you – Most work zone accidents involve someone
- running into the car ahead of them. Drive defensively – be aware of what is happening around you.
- Merge before you reach the work zone.
- Don’t use cell phones or adjust your radio while driving through the work zone.