The following is a summary of road construction and maintenance scheduled on state highways around Mason County and adjoining areas from May 13, 2018 to May 19, 2018.
US 101, Olympic Region Guardrail and Cable Barrier
Highway: US 101 Region: Olympic County: Thurston Location: Milepost(s) 362 to 367
Description: Left lane or shoulder closure for cable barrier modification.
Work Schedule: 9 p.m. Monday through Friday, May 14-18, until 6 a.m. each following day.
Highway: US 101 Region: Olympic County: Thurston Location: Milepost(s)
Description: Alternating right lane closures in both directions for bridge inspection.
Work Schedule: 10 a.m. to 11:30 a.m. Thursday, May 17.
SR 8 – Middle and East Forks Wildcat Creek – Remove Fish Barriers
Highway: SR 8 Region: Olympic County: Grays Harbor Location: Milepost(s) 4.3 to 7.5
Description: The eastbound lanes have been reconfigured to accommodate both directions of traffic as crews replace outdated culverts under SR 8 to improve fish passage for Middle and East Fork Wildcat Creek.
Work Schedule: Around the clock traffic shift. Any closures will be announced. Work is scheduled through spring 2019.
- Crews will temporarily close South 3rd Street between SR 108 and Mox Chehalis Road in downtown McCleary for pavement repairs each weekday beginning 7 a.m. Monday, May 14 through 4 p.m. Thursday, May 17. Flaggers and pilot car operators will control one-way alternating traffic during the daytime hours as part of the SR 8 Middle and East Forks Wildcat Creek project.
Tips for Driving Through Work Zones
- Pay attention – Driver inattention is the number one cause of work zone accidents.
- Leave room between you and the car ahead of you – Most work zone accidents involve someone
- running into the car ahead of them. Drive defensively – be aware of what is happening around you.
- Merge before you reach the work zone.
- Don’t use cell phones or adjust your radio while driving through the work zone.