The following is a summary of road construction and maintenance scheduled on state highways around Mason County and adjoining areas from May 6, 2018 to May 12, 2018.
Highway: SR 108 Region: Olympic County: Grays Harbor Location: Milepost(s) 2 to 12
Description: One-way alternative traffic for vegetation management.
Work Schedule: 12 p.m. to 4 p.m. Wednesday, May 9.
Highway: US 101 Region: Olympic County: Thurston Location: Milepost(s) .01
Description: Southbound left shoulder closure for guardrail repair.
Work Schedule: 11 p.m. Tuesday, May 8, until 4:30 am. Wednesday, May 9.
Highway: SR 8 Region: Olympic County: Grays Harbor Location: Milepost(s) 2
Description: The Elma Rest Area will be temporarily closed for grounds maintenance and septic system repairs. The nearest safety rest area is the Scatter Creek Rest Area off northbound Interstate 5 north of Centralia.
Work Schedule: 7 a.m. Tuesday, May 8 through 4 p.m. Wednesday, May 9.
SR 8 – Middle and East Forks Wildcat Creek – Remove Fish Barriers
Highway: SR 8 Region: Olympic County: Grays Harbor Location: Milepost(s) 4.3 to 7.5
Description: The eastbound lanes have been reconfigured to accommodate both directions of traffic as crews replace outdated culverts under SR 8 to improve fish passage for Middle and East Fork Wildcat Creek.
Work Schedule: Around the clock traffic shift. Any closures will be announced. Work is scheduled through spring 2019.
No work Memorial Day Weekend.
Pedestrians and bicyclists will encounter detours.
Tips for Driving Through Work Zones
- Pay attention – Driver inattention is the number one cause of work zone accidents.
- Leave room between you and the car ahead of you – Most work zone accidents involve someone
- running into the car ahead of them. Drive defensively – be aware of what is happening around you.
- Merge before you reach the work zone.
- Don’t use cell phones or adjust your radio while driving through the work zone.