The Hood Canal and Pioneer school districts are seeking input on how to pay for each district’s portion of the upcoming renovations to Shelton High School and one possible option is creating another high school in Mason County.
As non-high school districts, Hood Canal and Pioneer pay fees to the Shelton and North Mason school districts for their students who attend those district’s high schools. That obligation also includes capital improvements to each high school. With last February’s passage of a bond to renovate and modernize schools in the Shelton School District, Hood Canal and Pioneer are faced with paying more than $4 Million each for their portion of the planned renovations to Shelton High School.
Each district is looking for input on three possible options:
1) Pay their share of Shelton’s bond (Hood Canal $4.2 Million; Pioneer $4.5 Million) with a voter approved levy or bond.
2) Annex into the Shelton School District.
3) Establish a cooperative high school which would require voters to approve another bond to construct a new school.
MasonWebTV Powered by HCC sat down with the superintendent of each district to discuss these options.
Shawn Batstone says, based on initial input, Hood Canal School District residents like the new high school option.
Marty Brewer is finding Pioneer School District residents start with shock but end up leaning towards the new high school.
As both superintendents mentioned, they have online surveys and are encouraging residents to provide their input.
Hood Canal School District’s survey can be found here: http://www.surveygizmo.com/s3/3465790/Hood-Canal-School-District-3-Choices
Pioneer School District’s survey can be found here:
The Pioneer School District has community meetings scheduled:
- 10 AM May 13th at the Shorecrest Beach Club
- 5:30 PM May 16th in the Gymnasium at Pioneer School (with the Pioneer School Board)
- 10 AM May 20th at the Timberlake Multi-Purpose Center
- 3 PM June 14th at Harstine Island Pointe
Here are the full interviews with the superintendents (with only minor edits)
Shawn Batstone is Superintendent of the Hood Canal School District:
Marty Brewer is Superintendent of Pioneer School District:
As Mr. Brewer mentioned, Southside School District also has to pay non-high fees and a portion of the Shelton High School renovation. MasonWebTV Powered by HCC has not yet been able to schedule an interview with Southside officials.