Fireworks & Calling 911: When is it Appropriate?

FireWorks & 911Every year around the Fourth of July, 911 operators are inundated with calls regarding fireworks. The majority of these calls are non-emergency related, but tie up the 911 system, potentially delaying an emergency call from getting through.

The chart below has been produced with input from a number of Emergency Dispatch Centers and should be used as a guide when determining to call 911 regarding fireworks.

Who do you call to report illegal fireworks or suspicious activities involving fireworks?

Incident or Question? Call 9-1-1? If not a call to 9-1-1 who should I call?
Are fireworks legal within the city or county I live in? No Fireworks inquiries can be answered by searching the internet for local restrictions or calling the local police or fire department’s non-emergency phone number.
I want to report fireworks violations:

·         Being used in a fireworks ban area

·         Time of use (after 11:00 p.m. and before 9:00 a.m.)

No Fireworks violations may be reported by calling the police department’s non-emergency phone number.
I have a firework related injury from using fireworks, example:

·       Burns

·       Injury to eye

·       Severed body parts


Call 9-1-1



A fire has started from the use of fireworks. Yes

Call 9-1-1

The neighbor is using illegal fireworks (M-80’s). Yes

Call 9-1-1

Or the local police department’s non-emergency phone number.
Where do I get a Fireworks Stand License from? No Call the Office of the State Fire Marshal at (360) 596-3913 or check the internet.
I have old consumer fireworks I want to get rid of. No Call the local police or fire department’s non-emergency phone number.
I have found a short piece of pipe with a fuse coming out of it. Yes

Call 9-1-1

Leave the device where it is and do not pick it up.
There is a storage container at the neighbor’s house loaded with fireworks. No Call the local police or fire department’s non-emergency phone number.
My next door neighbor is making fireworks in his garage. Yes

Call 9-1-1


Calling 9-1-1:               

Reporting illegal activities or use of fireworks to 9-1-1 should be limited to those instances when the activity is in progress and poses a threat or danger to others or yourself.

The non-emergency number for MACECOM (Mason County’s Emergency Dispatch Center) is 360-426-4441 .

Remember the 3 B’s of Fireworks

  • Be Prepared—Have water nearby and put pets indoors
  • Be Safe—Only adults should light fireworks
  • Be Responsible—Clean up fireworks debris
Digiprove sealCopyright protected by Digiprove © 2016 Dedrick Allan