If you missed open enrollment and didn’t sign up for health insurance by Jan. 31, 2016, you may have to wait until next year’s open enrollment period, unless you have a life event that makes you eligible for a special enrollment or you qualify for Apple Health (Medicaid).
- Losing health insurance, including an employer plan or individual health plan
- Losing Apple Health (Medicaid) because you no longer qualify
- Giving birth to or adopting a child
- Permanently moving to a new area where your current plan doesn’t provide coverage
- Your employer not paying your COBRA premiums on time
- Your COBRA coverage ending or reaching the lifetime limit
- Your dependent turning age 26 and losing their coverage on your employer plan
- Getting married or entering into a domestic partnership
- Getting divorced or ending a domestic partnership
- Cancelling your Washington State Health Insurance Pool (WSHIP) coverage
- Your health plan no longer being offered for sale in Washington state
If you don’t qualify for special enrollment, here’s some resources that may help you afford medical care.
Next year’s open enrollment for individual and family coverage starts Nov. 1, 2016.